Hans and Dolores Lauer Culinary Bakery Pastry Arts and Chef Apprenticeship Endowed Scholarship
The Hans and Dolores Lauer Endowed Scholarship was established in 2018, by family and friends. Mr. Lauer came to the US from Germany to work in Fort Worth at Ridglea Country Club as a Saucier. He worked at numerous places including the luxurious Hilton Hotels. Mr. Hilton personally asked him to open many of their locations and help with very important menus for large Hollywood parties like the Golden Globes which was held at the Beverly Hilton. He retired as the Executive Chief for the Hilton Chain. His wife, Dolores Lauer received a diploma in Guest Services from the University of Business and Commerce in Leeds, England. In addition, she worked in several resorts in Switzerland including Front of the House Manager, at what is now the Berghotel Trubsee in Engelberg, Switzerland before immigrating to the US. Her spectacular personality could comfort exhausted travelers and make their day brighter. She made a positive first impression because she was the face of the resorts. Her exceptional interpersonal and communication skills ensured that guests enjoyed their stay. Mr. and Mrs. Lauer’s legacy lives on through their children, family, and friends. This endowed scholarship is a part of their legacy that will provide ongoing scholarships to students attending the El Centro Campus and pursuing a Program of Study in Culinary Arts, Bakery/Pastry Arts or the Chef Apprenticeship Program.
*Eligibility Criteria *
- Must be a student attending the El Centro Campus during the period of the award
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Major in Food & Hospitality Service, Culinary Arts, or Food & Hospitality-Baker/Pastry
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours for the period of the award
- Must have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours prior to the period of the award
- Must provide a name and email address for a recommendation letter from the El Centro Campus FHI professor or Chef Apprenticeship Coordinator
- Must be working toward completing the Culinary Arts Associates in Applied Sciences degree or the Bakery/Pastry Associates in Applied Sciences degree or the Chef Apprenticeship Program at the El Centro Campus
- To qualify for this scholarship you must be enrolled in the required hours by the application deadline.