Joseph Ray Witherspoon Memorial Scholarship
The Joseph Ray Witherspoon Memorial Scholarship was established in 2008 in memory of long-time employee Ray Witherspoon. Ray was a valued, respected college administrator and life-long learner committed to student success and community building throughout his 28-year career at the El Centro Campus. In 1968, Ray was hired as Director of Community Service at El Centro Campus in downtown Dallas, the flagship college of Dallas College, which opened its doors in 1966. In that role, Ray helped shape what soon became known as Continuing Education at El Centro Campus. He subsequently served as Dean of Technical Occupations and Continuing Education and Dean of Physical and Social Sciences until he retired as Vice President of Instruction in August 1996. Ray consistently embraced student learning success and community building at the heart of his work and service in workforce training and technical/occupational and academic transfer education. Honoring his legacy of service to the El Centro Campus and its students, this scholarship will be awarded annually to deserving students who personify his love of learning, dedicated work ethic, and sense of service to the local and world community.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Must be a student attending the El Centro Campus during the period of the award.
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours during the period of the award
- Must meet the Dallas County residential requirements for tuition.
- Must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at Dallas College prior to the period of the award
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours for the period of the award
- Essay Required
- Must include one recommendation from a Dallas College faculty or staff member
- Recipient must maintain the above requirements to receive the spring scholarship. Failure to do so could result in a loss of scholarship benefits.
- * To qualify for this scholarship you must be enrolled in the required hours by the application deadline.*